The Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science invites department chairs, faculty advisors, professors and research scientists at institutions around the world to submit online nominations for Miller Research Fellowships in the basic sciences.
The Miller Institute seeks to discover and encourage individuals of outstanding talent, and to provide them with the opportunity to pursue their research on the Berkeley campus. Fellows are selected on the basis of their academic achievement and the promise of their scientific research.
Miller Fellows also have a keen curiosity about all science and share an appreciation for an interdisciplinary experience. The Miller Institute is the sponsor and the administrative home department for each Miller Fellow who is hosted by an academic department on the Berkeley campus. All research is performed in the facilities provided by the host UC Berkeley academic department(s).
- Miller Fellowships are granted for a period of three years, generally beginning August 1 and ending on July 31. Starting dates must commence between July 1 and September 1 of the award year.
- The Institute provides a stipend of $68,000 with annual increases on subsequent anniversary dates. This stipend is not to be construed as a salary for teaching or for duties rendered to the University of California. Miller Fellows also receive a research fund of $10,000 per annum to be used in support of research during the Miller Fellowship, for a total compensation package of $78,000.
- Twelve days of sick leave are granted annually.
- There is provision for travel to (but not away from) Berkeley for Miller Fellows and their immediate families. An additional allowance of $3,000 is allowed for the transport of personal belongings.
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, short term disability, and life insurance are provided, with Miller Fellows making a small contribution towards the premium. The long term disability is voluntary.
- Approximately eight to ten Fellowships are awarded each year.
- Miller Research Fellowships are intended for exceptional young scientists of great promise who have recently been awarded, or who are about to be awarded the doctoral degree.
- Miller Fellows are expected to begin their Fellowship shortly after being awarded their Ph.D.
- A short period as a post-doctoral fellow elsewhere does not exclude eligibility, however, candidates who have already completed substantial postdoctoral training are unlikely to be successful except in unusual circumstances.
- Postdocs cannot have had more than two years of postdoctoral experience from other institutions, nor been employed as an assistant professor, associate professor or professor, in order to be eligible.
The Fellowship term must commence between July 1 and September 1 of the award year. Eligible nominees will be invited by the Institute to apply for the fellowship after the nomination has been reviewed and accepted. The nominee’s email address becomes the candidate’s unique ID, so please confirm your nominee’s preferred and correct email address. Direct applications and self-nominations are not accepted. All nominations must be submitted online.
Call for Nominations
Nominations are accepted from department chairs, faculty advisors, professors or research scientists who can attest to the scientific potential of the Miller Fellow candidate. Nominations are accepted from individuals at institutions around the world and are not limited to faculty at the University of California. Nominations cannot be made by an individual candidate, a student, or a postdoc.
To submit your nominations online, click here.
In your online application, you must provide the names of a minimum of two references who will be able to write about your potential as a Miller Research Fellow. To be considered, complete nominations must be submitted online by September 10, 2020.
- Nominations due online: September 10, 2020
- Applications (including all letters of reference) due online: October 10, 2020
- Miller Fellowship awards are offered: Mid-December 2020 – Mid-February 2021
Email ID: email@example.com